Before we start this conversation, try and answer this question, how do you identify the best electric knife sharpener? Are all knife sharpeners the same?
The term knife sharpening usually refers to the process of making a knife or a related tool sharper by grinding it against a rough surface, hard surface or soft surface with hard particles.
The sharpening centre has done whatever it can to ensure that any type of edge is maintained and becomes sharp as they were bought or more sharper than they were bought. These tools enable you to be able to sharpen kitchen cutlery, garden tools and pocket knives among others.
As the name itself suggests, electric knife sharpeners are used to sharpen knives and any type of edge. I usually laugh when I hear the famous quote which states that behind each and every good knife is a great sharpener. This is actually very true.
Facts about Knife Sharpening
Many people perceive knife sharpening as a very hard task because it is very difficult and at times time consuming.
That is just a myth. The truth of the matter is that knife sharpening is very easy. Knives can be sharpened with a little knowledge on how to sharpen blades and some inexpensive tools. Do you think that it is necessary to have a knife sharpener in the kitchen? Well, let’s find out.
There is nothing more important than a kitchen knife to a Chef. Many knives are designed in a manner that they will last for a very long time. At some point, these knives become blunt and make cooking a mess.
There is a very big difference when preparing food with sharp knives. Do you know that there is a high possibility of risking an injury when using blunt knives? Why risk all that while you can simply buy a knife sharpener in your kitchen.
Tips on How to Handle Kitchen Knives
It is the worst nightmare for any Chef to use a blunt knife in the kitchen when preparing food. Having sharp knives in your kitchen isn’t as difficult as you may think.
The secret is simple, make an effort to have a knife sharpener in your kitchen. You simply need to use a knife sharpener to sharpen and hone your knife. The knife sharpener can be electric or manual depending on which type of knife sharpener you can comfortably afford.
The following are some tips which will make your kitchen a safe ground for cooking:
- Train your employees or yourself on the safe use of kitchen knives.
- Make sure to use a knife that is suitable for the task you are about to perform or performing.
- Always ensure that you cut food stuffs on a very stable surface.
- Always tell people to carry knives facing downwards.
- Be careful when washing knives because they can cause serious cuts.
- It is necessary to store knives securely immediately after use.
- Wear protective gears if you have to as it minimizes risks.
There are many types of knife sharpeners which can be used in our kitchens. There are two known categories namely:
- Manual knife sharpeners
- Electric knife sharpeners
Manual knife sharpeners are those which a person personally sharpens the knife. It requires basic skills to be able to sharpen knives well. Manual knife sharpeners take time to sharpen knives. The amount of knives which can be sharpened per day will depend on the speed of the person sharpening the knives. They are usually very affordable.
Electric knife sharpeners on the other hand are those knife sharpeners which use electricity to sharpen knives. They usually sharpen knives very fast. Most electric knife sharpeners have specific knives which they sharpen. They are quite expensive when we compare them with manual knife sharpeners.
Buying your own knife sharpener is very cheaper in the long run when we compare it with buying new knives over and over or taking your knives to local sharpening services. This article will mostly major on electric knife sharpeners.
Tips on How to Choose the Best Electric Knife Sharpener
There are many brands to the point that a person is not able to differentiate between good and quality electric knife sharpener and a bad knife sharpener. Many people as a result usually take a lot of time in the market in search for the best electric knife sharpener. The good thing with being able to buy the best electric knife sharpener is that it will save you time and money in the long run.
The following tips will guide you as you go to the stores and supermarkets in search for a good electric knife sharpener:
- Price – It is very important to know your budget. This is because electric knife sharpeners vary in price and quality. That is why there are many different brands which vary in prices. Estimating your budget will help you have a rough idea on which types of electric knife sharpeners to look for. There is a myth that cheap electric knife sharpeners are of low quality. This is not true because we will see some electronic knife sharpeners which are very cheap but are of high quality.
- What kind of knives do you want to sharpen – Did you know that there are different kinds of electric sharpeners for different types of knives. The type of knives you have will highly influence the type of electronic knife sharpener you will purchase. It is advisable to seek for advice from the stores on the type of electric knife sharpeners to purchase.
- Decide if you want to purchase a single-sided or a double-sided electric knife sharpener – These two types of electric knife sharpener have many different features. Single-sided electric knife sharpeners have a flat bevel which makes it appropriate for sharpening serrated knives. One big disadvantage about using this type of electric knife sharpener is that the blade guides can sometimes scratch the knives. This makes the sharpening process less effective. On the other hand, double-sided knife sharpeners are easy to use simply because they have a simple rotary mechanism.
- Multi stage electric sharpeners – Ask yourself if you want an electric knife sharpener that leaves scratches on your knife or that which removes these scratches. There are specific electric sharpeners which are designed to remove these scratches and buffing the knife into perfection. It is important to choose the kind of features you want your electric knife to have so that shopping will become much easier for you.
- Electric scissor sharpener – It is not a must that you only sharpen knives. You may want to purchase an electric sharpener that will be able to sharpen scissors, sewing crafts and other households. Electric scissor sharpeners are recommended for this purpose.
Why is Sharpening your Knives Very Important?
There is a reason why there are companies which have specialized in knife sharpening tools. This at some point means that sharpening your knife on a regular basis is of some importance. Here are few reasons why people sharpen knives:
- Sharp knives always work better – Personally; I hate to use a lot of brute force to cut food stuffs. The less amount of force you use simply means less damage to the food. Dull knives will always slow the pace at which you slice vegetables. Sharp knives make food preparation more enjoyable because you are able to work at your pace.
- Sharp knives are always safe – The good thing about sharp knives is that they will not slip. This makes it safer to control slicing and chopping of vegetables. A dull knife can cause serious injuries on your body because there is a high possibility of it slipping from your intended target. That is why it is important to sharpen you knife on a regular basis.
- Appearance – This usually applies to food items on display. Food items sliced using a blunt knife will definitely look bad and disgusting. Food stuffs sliced using sharp knives will absolutely look attractive and appealing to the eyes. Always try to use sharp knives.
- Sharpening is very easy – Sharpening a knife is one of the easiest things a person can be able to learn. It is not time consuming and in the long run, it is very cheap compared to buying a knife each time the knife you are using becomes blunt.
- It gives you control – How is this possible? Simple, you are in a position to shape the bevel of your edge to suit the way you use your knife.
Factors which Lead to Knife Dullness
I know many people always tend to argue that knives will not always be sharp. This is not always the case. However, there are many ways which will ruin your knives faster than you think. The following are some of the common behaviors which lead to knife dullness:
- Storing your knives unsheathed in the utensil drawer- Apart from this being dangerous to your life, it makes knives to be dull. Unsheathed knives will always rub against other things. The best way to store a knife to keep it in a knife block and also on a magnetic knife strip.
- Sliding your knife across the chopping board to clear away what you have actually chopped – This is a common behavior which many people do. I also used to do this before I learnt that it makes your knife duller. The best solution is to flip the knife over before you do the clearing on the chop board. This will prevent your knife from becoming dull faster.
- Putting knives into dish washers – Knives are not meant to go into dish washers. Dish washers detergents are very abrasive. The banging around which usually happens during the washing process is not good for your sharp knife. It will definitely take the sharp edge off your knife without even noticing.
Always ensure that you store your knife carefully if you really do not want to use dull knives. If this is very hard, there are some electric knife sharpeners which will help you sharpen your knives. We are going to look at some of the best electric knife sharpeners in the market
Top 5 Best Electric Knife Sharpener
There are many brands of electric knife sharpener. The problem usually comes when it comes to categorizing the best knife sharpeners without being biased.
However we have been able to come up with top 5 electric knife sharpeners which are considered among the best brands in the market.
- Chef’s choice 120 diamond hone 3-stage professional sharpener
- Wusthof 3 stage electric sharpener
- Chef’s choice 320 diamond hone sharpener
- Presto 08800 eversharp electric knife sharpener
- McGowan diamond stone electric knife sharpener
Wusthof brand has a wonderful reputation in the world of knife sharpening and production. Wusthof 3 stage electric sharpener was designed for the wusthof precision edge technology but can serve a range of other types of knives such as the American and western style kitchen knives.
Wusthof brand originally originates from Solingen Germany. As we speak, the company is over 200 years and has produced over seven generations of knife sharpeners.
Good quality knives need constant care so that they can last for a lifetime. Wusthof 3 stage knife sharpener can serve this purpose without any doubt.
The good thing about Wusthof 3 stage knife sharpener is that it is able to restore the original factory angle of any wusthof range of knives. This type of electric knife sharpener has three stages of sharpening knives.
- The first stage usually involves preparing the edge of the knife. This stage system contains diamond abrasives whose main function is to sharpen the dull knife.
- The second stage is usually meant to produce a razor sharp knife edge. This stage system usually contains finer grit diamonds. It is basically fine honing the knife.
- The third and the last stage is used to polish the edge of the knife. It is important to note that the third stage system can be used to sharpen any serrated knife.
The following are some of the common features of wusthof 3 stage knife sharpener:
- It has 3 types of sharpening systems which can be used to sharpen even serrated knives.
- It usually has non slip feet for safety purposes.
- Both sides of the knife are sharpened equally.
- Instructions are usually accompanied with the electric knife sharpener to guide you on how to use.
- It usually has 3 years warranty.
- Wusthof 3 stage sharpener usually sharpens the knife which reaches the wusthof Petec standard.
Pros of using wusthof 3 stage knife sharpener
- The good thing about this electric knife sharpener is that it can sharpen all kinds of knifes from serrated knives to straight knives.
- It sharpens both sides of the knife equally.
- It is very easy to use because wusthof 3 stage electric knife sharpener is usually accompanied by a user guide.
- It sharpens knives faster
- The electric knife sharpener is made of diamond abrasive
Cons associated with wusthof 3 stage knife sharpener
- It is a little bit expensive compared to other types of electric knife sharpeners.
Chef’s choice is famously known for manufacturing different kinds of knife sharpeners. They specialize in both manual and electrical knife sharpeners.
This type of electric knife sharpener is recommended for use by professional chefs and also cutlery experts. Shocked? Well don’t be. Chef’s choice 120 allows you to sharpen both serrated and straight knives. When we mean both serrated and straight knives we mean the following: hunting knives, butchery style knives and also professional knives.
Chef’s choice 120 has three stages if sharpening knives to the resolution which a person wants.
- The first stage is usually used to repair damaged blades and also to restore dull blades. The first stage system usually uses diamond abrasives.
- The second stage is meant to refine and sharpen the edges of the blade. The second stage also uses diamond abrasives.
- The third stage is usually meant for polishing the sharp edge. It uses a fine revolutionary flexible stropping disk.
The following are some of the main features which are associated with chef’s choice 120 diamond hone 3 electric knife sharpeners:
- It has a diamond abrasive that will not at any time detemper the blade.
- It has a 3 year house hold warranty
- Each stages of sharpening blades uses precise angles so as to create a unique edge that is sharper and will last for a longer period.
- It has magnetic pad for collecting residue. This makes it easy to clean.
Pros of using chef’s choice 120 electric knife sharpener
- It is very effective and very easy to use
- It is available in black and white color. This gives clients a wide choice of variety.
- It produces results within a short period of time
- It can be used by many knives some of which are serrated and others straight.
- It produces a lot of noise when sharpening knives
- It requires a lot of counter space when operating this electric knife sharpener
It is so obvious that chef’s choice is a big player in the sharpening market. It produces both quality and affordable electric and manual knife sharpeners.
The quality and design of chef’s choice 320 makes a lot of people say goodbye to manual ways of sharpening knives and adapt this electrical way of sharpening knives. Chef’s choice 320 electric knife sharpeners are two stage sharpeners. They only have two stage systems for sharpening blades.
- The first stage of sharpening a blade is meant for position the knife for the operation. Its disk is mostly diamond coated to create a well shaped edge.
- The second stage involves stropping the blade and also polishing. The second stage is responsible for giving you a sharp and a durable edge.
The good thing about Chef’s choice is that you can adjust your sharpening angles to suit your need. It is very important to pay attention to the manufacturer’s user guidelines so that you do not end up shaving off the metals of your knives.
Features associated with Chef’s choice 320
- It usually comes with 3 year warranty
- It has a simple switch on/off switch
- It has a stabilizing feet
- It is a durable structure
Pros of using chef’s choice 320 electric knife sharpener
The following are some of the advantages of using chef’s choice 320 electric sharpeners:
- It is safe to use for quality knives
- Its gets you sharp long lasting edges.
- It has a unique patent strapping two stage
- It is a guarantee that it will not detemper your knife
- When compared to other types of electronic knife sharpeners, it is very difficult to operate.
- The coarse stage is extremely fast.
Check Price/Discount on Amazon
Presto 08880 eversharp electric knife sharpener is very popular model especially on Amazon. Presto 08800 eversharp sharpeners are manufactured by National presto industries. Presto 08800 eversharp is a two-stage sharpening system that has rotating grinding wheels. This is a totally unique type of electric knife sharpener compared to other types of knife sharpeners.
The first stage of sharpening is meant for coarse. Most of the work is done initially at this stage. The second stage usually involves honing of the blade. The angled slots are usually meant to ensure that you place the knife in the right position so that it can be sharpened according to somebody’s preferences.
The good thing about presto 08800 eversharp is its price. I do not think that a person can get a cheap electric knife sharpener that is of good quality and can sharpen knives.
In my opinion, I choose presto 08800 as one of the best electric knife sharpener because it is very affordable and it does not disappoint.
Features associated with presto 08800 eversharp electric knife sharpener
- It has two sharpening systems
- It uses a sapphirite sharpening wheel.
- It sharpens knives meant of alloy, carbon and stainless steel.
- 1 year warranty
Pros associated with using presto 08800
The following are some of the advantages of using this type of electric knife sharpener:
- Sappharite sharpening wheels makes the knife shard within a few minutes. It is therefore fast.
- It is possible to place the machine in an appropriate angle that will result into a perfect sharpening angle.
- It usually is 120volts and is suitable for home use.
- It has no slot for polishing knives
- It is a bit noisy when it’s being used to sharpen knives.
Do you know that taking your knives to the local sharpening services is very expensive when compared to purchasing your own knife sharpener? I always recommend electric knife sharpeners because they really do a good job and also because they are fast when it comes to sharpening knives. McGowan diamond stone electric knife sharpener is very easy to use because it is usually a onetime process.
It usually produces a sharp and highly polished edge.
The following are some of the common features associated with McGowan diamond stone electric knife sharpener:
- It is made in the USA
- It is easy to use
- It has a ceramic sharpening wheel
- It is very fast since it uses one system.
- McGowan diamond stone electric knife is usually built to North American Standards.
- It usually works on electricity.
- It usually has a 3 year warranty
Pros associated with using McGowan diamond stone electric knife sharpener
- It sharpens both sides of the blade simultaneously.
- It can be used by any kind of knife.
- It is sharpens blades within a short time.
- It makes edges of blades be highly polished.
- If used badly, it can ruin the knife.
- It is a little bit noisier
Best Electric Knife Sharpener Comparison Table
The reason why electric knife sharpeners are really on market is because they are fast compared to the manual knife sharpeners which were there before they were introduced. Secondly, they really make the blades sharp within a small period of time. Having learnt about top 5 best electric knife sharpeners, I am hoping that this will help you on choosing one of the best electric knife sharpeners. Kindly do research on the type of knives you want to sharpen so that it can narrow your search for specific knife sharpeners.
Having read all these information about electric knife sharpeners, I would strongly recommend you get yours today!